Friday, September 29, 2006

Moment of truth in love - between characters

I love writing the "moment of truth" - when the characters realize they love that person. Again, they question and come to understand that it is love and why they do love that person. I always put this important element in my love stories. People need to make sense of what they are feeling, just as the reader needs to understand as they read that the hero and heroine do love each other.

It drives me crazy if I read a story where the characters fight through much of the book, then at the end they are "in love". Sorry, I don't buy it. People need reasons to fall in love - common interests, sharing in a problem, etc. At the very least a strong chemistry that sparks between them. I just don't see fighting as the appropriate chemistry that will draw a couple together.

I'm not saying there can't be arguing, couples need to clear the air. Heck, Serena, my heroine in Love's Captive tries to punch out King Rhamus. But though they had many misunderstandings (he was planet Volarn and she was an Earth girl), they worked through them.

I would call the constantly fighting couple "in lust" not in love. Just my opinion, and I know I've sidetracked to another discussion area, but one I think is interesting. As a counselor, I've told many young women who came to me asking how to find the right partner - be sure you like that person. If you just fall "in lust", you may wake up 6 months down the road and find out you don't even like the person you're laying next to!!

PS: Simon (my hubby) was my friend before we started dating. Now, 25 years later, we still have plenty of sparks in the bedroom and he is my best friend.:)

Myra Nour
www.myranour.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home