Wednesday, July 05, 2006

We had a nice 4th yesterday so I decided to blog about it.

My daughter, Chris, has a new boyfriend, Blake (love that name), so he was invited. He is a quiet, all-American looking guy, and Chris says he treats her real nice. He has a 4 year old son, Aadon, and he was a cutie. Very much a boy, but dad made him behave.

Simon barbaqued hamburgers & hot dogs. Typically his OC self, he worried that they had to be perfect! They were good. I put that Onion mix in the burgers which gives them a nice flavor. I bought a patty shaper and they work good.

I got some BBQ beans from Sticky Fingers, which we love. If you've never tried them, you gotta. Chris also wanted Green Bean salad so I made some. Seemed a wierd choice to go with burgers & dogs, but she had a craving for it.

It was really hot out, so I spent my time inside. When the food was done, there were too many flies so we ate in the house. We love having a deck, but those are the occasions when a screen room would be nice!!

When it cooled off in the evening, and there was a nice breeze, and we pulled out the paddleboat. There's a lake out back. Chris, Blake & Aadon went for a long ride, then Simon and me took a turn. It was very pleasant. There were more boats on the lake then we've ever seen, lots of visiting relatives.

We can sit on the deck & see some fireworks without having to drive anywhere. There are a few parks around. This year, one of our neighbors spent a lot on fireworks, because they had a spectacular show - better than the parks. They also had lots of people in their backyard, so many relatives I suspect. The last two years it also was rainy during the 4th, so yesterday was much better fireworks.

We came in later and had some of my homemade peach cobbler and watched some TV.
It was a relaxing, nice July 4th. I'm sure lots of people had more exciting days. Our family never get together, my relatives have always been so scattered in different states. So it was nice since Chris is living with us, to have a more "family feel" to the day.

End note: Simon gripped the day before about all the work it takes to do a BBQ. But Chris helped him sweep the deck & wipe the table - must dos when your an OC person. Everything has to be clean & neat!! So, he only had to clean the grill. I still saw him outside cleaning things, not sure what he found to do - but I saw he had clipped some bushes. Definitely having some "Monk" moments.

I told him it wouldn't hurt him to BBQ, I cook all year! He is not the typical male who enjoys barbaqueing. Sigh. I told him I'd like to do it at least several times during the nice weather, it's fun and gives me a break.

I hope everyone else had a good 4th.

Myra Nour
www.myranour.com

1 Comments:

Blogger Edward said...

Well .. hell. I'm sitting here in Baton Rouge showing my friend Rachel your website and I have to read about the 4th Cook Out .. and I wasn't there. DAMN!!

:)

Your Brother, Ed

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home